View Single Post
Old 09-30-22, 06:26 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I think this sport touring model of Trek was brazed with lower temperature silver instead of brass like they did later as a cost cutting measure. These earlier Treks used Nikko lugs. I really like Nikko lugs because they are bulge formed and many of my frame building class use them. They are the only company that make lugs that way. Also the frame is made for 47/57 mm brake reach allowing for bigger tires. It became more popular to spec with shorter reach brakes when narrow tires became popular. In fact someone gave me this same model of Trek for our Ukraine Bicycle Project. We used to do week long rides somewhere in the Ukrainian boonies for a number of years. I fixed up this model as my personal ride and have loved ridding it for thousands kms. What I recall is that the frame when I got it was not well aligned to begin with. Trek never had high alignment standards for their steel frames. Of course I realigned it, redid the braze-ons to my liking and repainted it a chameleon color. I replaced the parts with a used Campy Triple set. I even took over a Ideal 92 saddle for it. It was my personal ride when going longer distances. Students at the college where our frame/bike shop was located loved going on rides with me in the Bucha area after supper. It was a loaner to people that worked on campus when I wasn't there.

This bike was stored in a shed next to our little frame/bike shop. In March of this year the Russians broke in to the shed but - to prove they didn't know what they are doing - they left this bike and 2 other Trek sport touring frames. In fact the door to the shed was wide open for 4 to 5 weeks before people were able to return to the college and finally shut and lock the door. I'm not sure what was in there that they did take. Some bicycle stands I think. Yuriy my fellow helper took this picture when he made a quick trip back after he escaped to the west.

If I was looking for a nice sport touring frame, I would buy this bike - in whatever condition it is in - in an instant. Of course it is so easy for me to the realignment because I have all the professional equipment to do so. If you are going to buy it for parts only, send me the frame! I'll pay shipping. It will go to Ukraine with our next shipment of stuff. It is a perfect bike for riding longer distances on poor roads. There is going to be a much bigger demand for bicycles than ever over there.

My Trek sport touring bicycle and a couple of others the Russians didn't bother to steal after they broke into this storage shed. You can see from this picture that they didn't bother tidy up after they broke in either - the animals.
I'm not sure I will buy the bike but I am sure that your contribution to this thread was wonderful.