Old 12-04-21, 11:37 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
I’ve been curious about that @Rocket-Sauce, but not enough to give it a go…

This one’s a throwback and I don’t go for the strong ones anymore, but I had to grab it when I saw it here. It’s not what I remember it being, but there it is.
Well you're not following the directions, if you're drinkin it from a glass!!
I do wonder if it's changed, but I have been drinking it consistently for the past decade so I have no idea. I've been meaning to do an experiment in my lab on it, to see what the actual alcohol content is. It sure feels like more than 8 percent or whatever they say it is.

I've been drinking the 'heavy flopper', as it is called in my family, since the insurance company screwed over the alchemist back in 2011. I was living in Middlebury at the time. I'm told that after Hurricane Irene demolished the place, the insurer declared their flood insurance policy retroactively void on a technicality that the brewery was 2 inches below grade, so it was "technically a basement." They only had the resources to do one beer after that, so they had to bet the farm on it, and they picked a winner! To me, it is a symbol of Vermont solidarity and a great example of acquiring a taste. Nobody I knew liked double IPA at that time, but we supported the alchemist, and then we acquired the taste and now drink nothing but double IPA.