View Single Post
Old 04-25-22, 08:23 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
What do you carry with you?
On patch kits, the vulcanizing glue dries up so fast that once it has been used, you have a whole bunch of patches that can't be used because the tube is all dried up. Unless you buy a whole bunch of new tubes of vulcanizing glue.
I have a garage full of patched tubes but I don't have a lot of confidence taking them out as spares because too often I still hear leaks after patching them up.
So I have a stock of brand new tubes too.
We have 4 regularly-ridden bikes equipped with spare tubes and patch kits. I'm not sure without re-checking them which ones are currently carrying patched tubes versus brand-new ones, but I hold them in equal regard, so I voted for patched tubes.

My policy is to only carry fresh, unopened tubes of glue on the bikes, and will sometimes check them by giving a little squeeze. I almost never need to patch tubes while out on a ride -- usually the spare tube suffices. But if I do, I will immediately use that tube of glue to patch any other punctured tubes I have when I get home. If that doesn't trigger it, I'll go ahead and open a tube of glue once I've collected at least a half-dozen punctured tubes, or start to run low on a particular size...

@noglider Tom has some great tips for patching. I recommend keeping up your practice, and using a spare wheel to do more realistic testing of your patches. If the tire doesn't go soft again for at least a couple of days, that tube is probably good to go.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498