View Single Post
Old 09-17-22, 08:07 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I do appreciate all of the posts both in favor and against clipless pedal systems. I found, after only 16 miles, that I need to adjust the way I think bout some parts of riding my bike. What I mean by that is that I have ridden with the old, I guess they were called clips style pedals that I call foot cages, because of my need to position my foot where I need it to be. I have issues with my feet that made the cage, both the metal and the synthetic toe cage only, painful after a few miles. What clipless has given me is consistent foot placement, a reminder not to twist my feet heal in, no pressure on the top of my feet, and I suppose I do feel a real secure feeling being connected to the bike. I found, from the short ride I have taken, that the advantages for me at this point outweigh the disadvantages and I need to use the nonclip-in side of the Shimano combo pedals when needed and then clip in when I want to. It is certainly a learning process but the feeling I got riding with these gave me emense pleasure to not have the pain or the need to be looking at my feet for proper placement and I believe I still have enough brain cells working to retrain myself from the old style cages to clipless. That said, I am not so stubborn as to not realize that if I can't adjust to these I would allow my pride to prevent me from changing back to my large studded pedals. I will see how it goes and hopefully make the decision that is best for me. Thanks again for all of the input. Ride on and be safe.