Old 09-17-22, 07:17 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
OMG. FB lives! As far back as 8 or 10 years ago I once had a GPS that had voice control. Voice Command mode didn't work all that well so I would be tempted to just try and use it conventionally. Nothing doing. If you were even in stop and go traffic it wouldn't take any input from the screen. Most phones know that you are driving and throw up a defeatable 'driving mode'. That is more than enough. If you defeat the 'driving mode' feature of your smartphone and are then implicated in a fatal accident, that should be that! It would only take a few permanent license suspensions to get the word out that texting and driving are fatal to your operators privileges. As I understand it, being a cyclist in Western Europe is much safer than in the U.S. mainly because there is zero tolerance there for killing a cyclist. Even if the cyclist were somehow at fault, you don't get to blame them and go on with your life like nothing happened. They don't jail you forever but you won't ever (legally) drive again. Makes the drivers pay double the usual amount of attention when they spot a cyclist.