Old 09-23-22, 01:22 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Sorry for the tardy reply.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
And if the bike lane is blocked, totally impassable ... the cyclist just stands there?
I guess if they have no common sense, sure. The law/rules aren’t handcuffs. But is is quite clear that if a usable path exists, it is mandatory to use it. There are exceptions, for instance, if there is construction blocking the path, not only is acceptable top divert around and out into the road to pass it, it is frequently signed as such.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I did a short bit of online searching but I didn't ever see the actual statute--I know how to search for US law, and I like to read the actual laws, not some other person's interpretation---often one person posts some understanding with an air of great authority and everyone repeats that, while the actual law says quite another thing.

Many US bike laws say bikes must use the bike lane but in another clause explain that bikes may use auto lanes if conditions warrant---but not many people read the fifth clause of the third section , and just repeat the first line of the first section.

I don't know Belgian law .... not in Flemish, not much French, nor Walloon, or whatever languages Belgian people might speak. I do know that I would look more deeply. Otherwise, if I dropped a small barricade in a bike lane, no rider could go around it. Seems unlikely .... but who knows?

I did see that apparently Belgian bike lanes are bi-directional ... so you will always meet oncoming bike traffic. Seems inefficient, but whatever.
Try this: https://www.kuleuven.be/transportation/pdf/cycling-guide-2017 It is hosted by KU Leuven (a research university one town over, which my son will coincidentally matriculate to next fall…humblebrag). But it is published by the Police, in English, due to the large expatriate student community there. Generally, the rules and regulations they explain are unchanged.

Note, not all lanes are bidirectional, only when there is a lane on one side of a street, OR if it is clearly marked as such. Otherwise, they are unidirectional with the vehicle traffic on the corresponding side of the street.