Old 09-26-22, 09:59 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
One of the big dangers(?) of lots of bicycle lanes, especially completely segregated ones, is that if a new bicyclist ONLY rides in them, then they never learn how to deal with traffic and that means that they can't or won't ride where there is no bike lane. Also, it means that they don't learn how to recognize traffic hazards let alone deal with them.

Here in Ontario Canada I don't see any well designed bike-lanes except maybe the very odd one and those aren't long enough to be meaningful.

Cheers
The single biggest dangers are cars. Get rid of bicycles and bike lanes and road fatalities don't change that much. Get rid of cars and serious road incidences plummet dramatically. Look at the annual road fatalities and injuries for Toronto and how 2020 showed a drop even when bicycling increased.

My previous 30 years of cycling in Toronto without bike lanes have not convinced me that it is safer than my last ten years of cycling in bike lanes. The close calls I still get are all outside of bike lanes.

Surveys taken post-pilot project are all consistent showing an overall increase in approval of bike lanes- and that includes motorists, pedestrians and cyclists combined. And even though motorists still have the biggest portion against the new protected bike lanes, they have a surprisingly larger approval rate than expected.

So, I take solace knowing that the people here who oppose bike lanes are amongst the minority of those surveys.

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-26-22 at 10:06 AM.