rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Here in the real world where I live, there's only two protected bike lanes in town. One of them has 17 driveways and cross streets in three blocks. Cyclists have stop signs at every driveway, and even with green paint, most drivers don't bother checking the bike lane before making a turn.

Then we get to the "magic white paint line will protect cyclists."

Followed shortly by "why should we waste money building bike lanes?" and "why should we close off traffic lanes and increase traffic congestion when nobody's riding bikes in this town?"

Given the cost of building separate bicycle facilities, I don't expect to see any significant uptick in safe, separate bike lanes in my lifetime. Dense urban centers with mass transit options? Maybe. Rest of the world? I'm going for a ride instead of waiting for Godot.
My apologies. I thought NY was in the real world. There is no optimal solution for cities with multiple intersections and driveways, but what has been implemented can be made safer by adding additional features to aid visibility. Is it a waste of money? That is purely subjective, but accident figures don’t lie. You may live in an area where it was poorly implemented, but projecting you community to all of the US seems a bit much. But you are certainly entitled to your belief/s. Heading out for a ride now. Be safe.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-26-22 at 01:51 PM.
Likes For rsbob: