Old 04-27-20, 02:19 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 305 Posts
Dear CyclesMakaron - thanks for the fantastic job you are doing in helping people on this topic!

Here is a bike that might be a little different than the usual. I know quite a bit about it but it would be nice to hear your take on it too.

I bought this as a frame a long time ago and it was sold as an ex John Talen bike. That was not why I bought it though - I just wanted a cyclocross bike. I have always liked Merckx bikes and I have got a few. Why not a CX too? ;-)

Here is what Wikipedia says about John Talen:
"John Talen (born 18 January 1965) is a former road racing cyclist from the Netherlands, who was a professional from 1987 to 2000. As an amateur he won the world title in the 100 km team time trial, alongside Rob Harmeling, Tom Cordes and Gerrit de Vries, and finished second in the individual road race. His biggest individual success as a pro was winning Dwars door Vlaanderen (1988) and the Scheldeprijs (1990). Talen rode in three editions of the Tour de France."

He probably used this frame for winter training as many do/did in that part of Europe (Eddy too in his day).

The serial number puts it late 1986 or early 1987 I presume? I believe the paint to be original. "P" on the frame but "D" och the fork - same serial though. And then the serial, the "M95" and "BEM" and "cross" on the fork tape bit.

The cable stops on the top tube were broke when I bought the frame and I have silver soldered new ones in place. Built wheels a long time ago and I do have Mafac cantis and Campagnolo bar end shifters on the shelf. I have got all parts - but time has been spent on other bikes. This one will get done eventually.

These are cable housing stops for the traditional Campagnolo bar end shifters housing used in cyclocross - not guides for ergopower cables as on many modern frames.

Eddy inspecting what I am doing in the work shop...

Edit and PS - just noticed an extra security measure compared to other Merckx BB-shells of the same kind. A plate has been brazed in place to secure the cable not moving out of its groove.

Last edited by styggno1; 04-27-20 at 07:23 AM.