Old 03-30-20, 09:56 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Hi folks. I'm just about at the test ride stage of this build. 700c wheels with sturmey archer four speed hub and dynohub. For those who have worked on dynohubs, what level of play at the hub when installed and tight is to be expected? I've followed the proper procedure for cones and what not. Just seems to have more than a hint of play. Chain line is 95 percent. It might need to be a bit tighter. I may adjust the wheel position in the dropouts. Before the pandemic hit I was going to have a more modern alloy 26mm seat post brought down to 24mm, but it's too late. For the moment I'm stuck with the old one. Apart from that the headset is original (and in great shape). Handlebar is a Sakae unit off of my Voyageur. Original mafac calipers with kool stop pads and the Dia Compe levers off the Voyageur. Thoughts on the dynohub play? The FW is shifting beautifully.
Generally speaking, one of the differences between four-speeds and 3-speeds is that there really shouldn't be any play in the cones of a four-speed.

At least here in Minnesota, bike shops are considered an 'essential industry' as they are in the transportation sector.
Likes For Salubrious: