View Single Post
Old 10-08-23, 11:42 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Just to finalise this, supposing someone's interested. (Yawn) OK, I'll keep i short!
Having had it a few weeks now, I've persevered with The Pig and grown to love it for what it is - a Chinese generic trike, built to sell cheaply. Or perhaps they haven't been selling at all, so they're now cheap.
They're popular in Australia, I believe. Anyway, I've replaced the 36T crankwheel with a 40T instead,which raises the gear profile slightly. This crankshaft was the last one (from Amazon) and more of this type are not expected, so I got lucky there.
The riding experience might be described as total, or immersive and in no way resembles that on a two wheeler. The road is the best place to ride it; traffic appraises me with good humour, and give me space which is unusual for autos these days, so that's most welcome.
The single wheel drive (RH) would be better on the left for us Blighty-ites, though I still will persevere with the non flexible two wheel drive arrangement soon.
The caliper brakes are real old school, and despite the new levers I now have for them, stopping is much improved but still rather inferior to modern braking on a 2 wheeler, but I expected as much. It's acceptable for the situations I'm likely to find myself in.
Standing up on the pedals is a no-go; unlike a standard bike, the lateral forces would be transferred to the lighter parts of the framework at the rear, since the rear wheels stay firmly in one position. Stress would ensure a short life. But the 8 gears are great. Similar to what I'm used to, the ratios give you the gear fyou want or any occasion.
But it is great fun on cambers, wondering if you will or if you won't. I haven't so far, touch wood. Nor have I done wheelies, or turned corners on two wheels like I did when I was 4 or 5. I remeber it well.
So there you have it. Fun on 3 wheels! I just love bikes.

This one's gone on twice

Last edited by peterws; 10-08-23 at 11:52 AM. Reason: pics haven't gone on right