Thread: Component help
View Single Post
Old 06-24-20, 10:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Go with a GRX group (or parts from it). Maybe try a sub compact derailleur and a different crank (White Industries comes to mind for ability to customize gearing) Unfortunately Shimano is not super interested in touring and bike packing cyclists as we don't race or gain them anything. If I go on tour people may see I have a Shimano XT derailleur and CX-70 Front Derailleur but it is unlikely they will think much of it and even if I was wearing Shimano gear I probably wouldn't reach people like I could at a Downhill race at Ft. William or the Tour de France.

GRX is certainly a nice step as is XT-T8000 but it is never going to be what we really want. I personally want to see the return of thumbies and a rear derailleur that can clear large cassettes with wide range front chainrings that have all the quality of XT/Ultegra.