FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
^^^^ in the interim i've been riding a new nature boy SS now to the SA > finished the wheel & got it mounted on my steamroller. the 2 gears is really strange because you can't help but inadvertently shifting. the coaster brake is a little tricky to feather because you may be changing gears when you start to peddle again. im used to fixed. right now im having regrets on bloating my steamroller with weight & an extra gear . unless my mind changes in the next 30 days im going to un STURMEY ARCHER it. i have to add that i had forgotten how easy it feels to SS and the new all city frame is great. the 2 speeded surly just seems lacking in everything but that's what happens when you make decisions at 2AM
Good feed back. Seems like a coaster brake with a kick back hub wouldn't be my choice either.

Maybe use a kickback hub, but without coaster brake? Use rim brakes instead? Or, just a front rim brake?

My SRAM doesn't have a coaster brake, and the bike I wanted to put it on doesn't have a rear rim brake already in place. I was thinking of going without a rear brake on it, but like you said riding single speed sure is easy (depending on gearing, of course.)

Maybe all this makes more sense on laid back cruisers because the rider is in less of a position to stand up to pedal? Hmmmm.