Old 01-12-16, 02:20 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
Read through all the pages and find it all very interesting.

I bike to work all year and this is my first job where I do all year regardless of weather (today it was -22F). I was not sure how this was going to go over at my current office due to the stigma's of biking to work and the nature of my office and what we do. It has actually been a big hit more so than I anticipated. I think like another person they have a office pool going on me, I get asked just about everyday if I biked in and two or three times when the weather is very poor. I have turned one person slightly to ride to work and not by me convincing them but them just seeing how easy it is for me. He only rides in on the nicest of days, but I am just glad he does it.

When I first really started to ride it was a 26 mile round trip commute, but it was entirely on a MUP. I worked for a health care provider at the time so my bike was not the only one parked at the office all year. The job prior to that I had a second round of interviews to get to, well that day my car broke down and could not get one from anyone else plus zip car and hour car did not exist at the time. So I biked there, it was about 15 miles one way I believe. When I got there I did not get the answer I expected, which I thought was going to be me not getting hired for this "stunt," in fact they were impressed and thought it showed real dedication, it also helped the hiring manager was a avid cyclist .
I've had similar experiences at an established job--most of the co-workers and even superiors have been very favorably impressed that I was carfree.

"Think Outside the Cage"