Old 06-02-22, 10:20 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,046 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I would say that it depends very much on the wheels you are using. I am a long time road tubeless user having bought a pair of Campagnolo Shamal 2way fit wheels about 12 years ago. They already had tubeless valves installed and require no rim tape. Installing a tubeless tire is no more difficult than a tube type tire, easier actually because there is no inner tube to deal with. My last tire install took me about 10 minutes for both wheels. The tires I am using (Hutchinson Fusion5 all season 700 x 28) seal even without sealant, I inject the sealant after I have made sure that the tires are holding air, takes another 2-3 minutes for both tires. The tires with sealant installed hold air about as well as a lightweight butyl inner tube. A lot of the problems I have seen in various tubeless threads involve problems with air leaks on wheels that have to be taped, so I can't speak to that sort of problem. I recently bought a gravel bike with 700 x 45 tires and rims that were already taped. Conversion to tubeless took me about 20 minutes. I don't expect any real problems due to the fact that I am running half the air pressure in these tires that I do with my road tubeless setup
One thing I notice with my tubeless gravel bike is that I can corner so much faster on the curves. Also I perfected my rim taping, going over the center and sides several times over to make sure the tape is properly sealed. I do a small xacto knife incision where the valve stem goes, to minimize leaks. Though after switching from butyl tubes to latex (and now TPU) tubes, I actually haven't had any issues with flats on the road bike. I even had a staple lodged in my tire and the latex tube I was using didn't puncture. I'm just wondering though how much of the tubeless ride benefits port over to smaller width tires?

The only logistical issue is that I don't have an air compressor or an air shot canister. So in order to do a proper tire bead, I have to make trips to the gas station air pump. I tried the inner tube beading trick, and it's just a hassle.