Old 08-14-23, 04:32 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4441 Post(s)
Liked 4,893 Times in 3,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
OK - thread reboot.

Trained all winter, tune up trained for a week in the high mountains 2 months later... past few months I've just been doing z2 volume, unstructured rides of all intensities, and some occasional intervals thrown in...

Went out and attempted a FTP test, was looking at the 2x8 min version.

Not knowing where to start, going off my previous 5 min power record of 311w from before the winter training sessions, I set to ride 8 min at 300w. Flat out died at 4 min @ 303w. Flat died. Tried again 5 min later at 280w, bzzzt, fail.

Now I'm somehow weaker than last years levels at higher mid range power levels. But my lower ranges are higher, and my top peak is higher (with no training in that zone).

I guess there is a question in here, or two...

How long will results from training stick around? And how often do you need to repeat training blocks to avoid losing gains?

And the big question - if you do lose the gains, do you get them back quicker since you already laid those tracks?
First thing is that you tried to go very close to your previous record high as your new starting baseline. Almost guaranteed to fail, so no surprise there.

Secondly, you have noted that your lower ranges and peaks are both higher. So if you go into a progressive build phase you will probably beat your previous records. Just don’t expect it to happen without doing the building blocks.

How long will gains last? Maybe a couple of months at most before you need some rest and recovery. That’s why pro riders don’t try to win all 3 Grand Tours in the same season. Form requires both peaks and troughs and how you manage those is key to longer term consistency. The only way to achieve a constant flat level of fitness is to underperform your potential peak.

So start thinking in terms of a sinusoidal performance curve with a slight long term upward trend. It seems like your current trough is a bit higher than before, so consider that a win and try to build slightly above your previous peak in the next wave.
Likes For PeteHski: