Old 12-28-16, 06:52 PM
ajp
SoCal Rider

Bikes: 2012 Black Mountain Cycles monstercross; 1998 Bianchi Alloro; 1982 Trek 610; Early 90's Trek 850 MTB (set up as commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been running a Stronglight 110 mm BCD 46/34 crankset on my bike for the last two years, along with 9-speed Shimano Ultegra STI shifters and a customized 13-32 cassette (13-15-17-19-21-23-25-28-32). The front derailleur is a Shimano CX-70, and rear derailleur is a Shimano Tiagra with the "GS" mid-length cage to handle the largest 32t cog. I find the 46t chainring is ideal for most of my riding, in the middle of the cassette with a perfect chainline when on the flats. In other words, I basically have a "1x9 plus granny" setup, since I only use the small chainring when climbing.

I decided I wanted one more lower climbing gear, which meant changing to a 46/30 setup. Since I like to tinker and experiment, I have started with the dirt-cheap Spa Cycles "TD-2 Super Compact" crankset. This is a 110 mm / 74 mm triple crank converted to a double, with a bash guard in the outer ring position. The cranks are a low-end Sugino copy with a low finish level, but the Spa brand chainrings are quite impressive: precise CNC machining of the teeth and ramps combined with a utilitarian bead-blasted anodized finish. The shift up from the 30t to the 46t is impressively good - crisp and flawless in half a rotation of the cranks, actually much better than the shifting was on the former 46/34 setup.

I may upgrade later to a better-finished 110/74mm triple crank (Stronglight or Sugino), but I'm going to stick with the Spa Cycles chainrings. Impressive quality and very modestly priced.