Old 11-08-19, 04:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
I don't like to use the word training. To me it implies a focus on the physical preparation of cycling.

A bike tour, in my world, is about far more than the cycling. Yes, we need to be able to cycle to bike tour, but it's not the only ability we need to enjoy it.

I prefer to use the term practising because it covers more than just the cycling.
For example, there's navigation, packing, cycling on different surfaces in different conditions, clothing for different conditions, eating & drinking.

If camping there's a whole load of other factors - finding suitable pitches, pitching in different weather, staying warm/dry/cool depending on conditions. Even being able to pass long cold nights is something that some people can't do comfortably.

If cooking, there's (again) cooking in different conditions, fuel considerations (especially in extreme conditions) as well as resupply.

There's also the psychological aspect; Having the confidence to listen to your body requires experience. Adjusting plans on the fly gets better with practise. Learning how to deal with hitting a psychological wall requires practise.

The more you practise these the better you will get, the more you'll enjoy it.

For me, I have a "Touring head", a state of mind, that gives me a real kick - otherwise I wouldn't tour. To me, being able to don my "Touring head" is more important than being able to cycle x miles with y kilos.

To be practical, practise when & where you can. Pick somewhere, load up the bike, cycle there, fire up a stove, cook, eat, relax, cycle back a different way. Even just camping out in the back garden in foul weather can be a great learning experience

Over the years I've met many touring cyclists. Of the ones that were not happy, not enjoying themselves, riding the bike was not the issue.

Good luck!
In some ways I feel exactly the opposite way despite agreeing on a lot of those points.

I agree 100% about there being a touring state of mind, having a touring head, and so on, but for me that is mostly because I spend my whole day cycling when on tour. Everything becomes a routine, choices become simple, ride, eat, sleep, ride, repeat... Not much thinking about what to wear, what to do, mostly just the road and the people, places, and things along it. For me that is what touring is primarily about.

If anything reading what you said made me think of my tours as more riding centric, not less. At home I do obsess over gear lists and possible routes and trip logistics (when and where to go), but otherwise don't prep all that much for touring. I don't find I need to do much to "get into my touring head" other than to head out on my bike. Doing stuff like practice trips is not something I do, camping in the back yard definitely isn't, and I never have trained with a loaded bike. Perhaps fool hardy, but I have never even done a test ride with the bike loaded. I just carry a sensible load and trust I can sort out any problems on the road if I have to.

Most of the people I met who were miserable on their tours almost exclusively were the ones who packed far to heavily, were struggling with the weight, and still didn't have the right stuff.