Old 12-07-19, 07:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett A
I have two thoughts on this question:
  • One is that some people, some years, have no time to or inclination to ride in the months or weeks before a tour. I'm pretty much only on a bike when I'm out touring.
  • The other is that there is no need. If a person can ride 50+ miles a day for multiple days from the start w/o training, and they don't struggle, and they enjoy it, then what's missing?
for those who don't want to or have the opportunity to ride other than when they do a bike tour, by all means do that and I genuinely hope it works for you.

From my observations and lots of personal experience, riding regularly makes for a more enjoyable riding experience, and being prepared physically means less issues and aches and pains and saddle sores or knee problems because your body and your bike are prepared and set up properly for multi day riding.
No matter at what age or physical condition, there's nothing but pluses to riding beforehand, and making sure everything technically is working fine etc.
Any activity is going to go better with proper preparation, but especially a physical outdoor activity.

Another factor also is that in general, a lot of us involve cycling in our daily activities as part of our lives and staying in shape, using a car less, and simply from the good feeling we get from regularly exercising--a healthy life long habit that only brings benefits throughout our lives, whether at 30 or 70.
Likes For djb: