Old 02-10-20, 07:54 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5999 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Glad to know you didn't stay out in the full strength of the storm, Stadjer. I can only imagine trying to stay upright on a bicycle. I've done it on motorcycles where you lean hard into the crosswind for miles on end, but never on a bicycle.
For some reason it's much safer on a bicycle I think. Partly because of the speed of course, but I never liked strong winds on a moped. On a bike the wind seems part of the balance, when you lean into to it forward or sideways. also gusts aren't really that surprising. I live in a city and it's the wind that blows between high buildings that can be really strong and surprising, also there's lots of trees and in storms there's chance of roof tiles falling down, people left trampolines in their gardens, things like that. That's more of a concern than the wind itself. For some reason I like to power into the strong wind and that probably helps dealing with it, but I certainly wasn't the only one out on a bike so it also might have something to do with groing up with it.

Storms are not even always the most difficult winds to cycle through, sometimes there's 'only' a 8 beaufort wind but it's a continuous 'fat wind', the speed isn't that high but the air is heavier or something. Then you can find yourself doing some kind of track stand leaning over the handle bar, and if it eases off slightly you'll have to put a foot on the ground. In a storm you can usually gain some momentum between gusts and use that to steer into it. With strong head or side winds you won't be going fast anyway.

Originally Posted by FiftySix
BTW, I wouldn't want to get by a fish no matter the method.
I was thinking of this video, but that's probably only a possibility at certain coasts elsewhere. .
Likes For Stadjer: