Old 07-28-21, 08:01 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
Wow, do I appreciate this posting, I've tried to read all and follow as much as I could. Got some Tegaderm...scrubbed (as hard as I could through the pain) the wounds, applied some ointment (Aquaphor) and they appear to be "healing".

The whole seeping mess is a bit disconcerting however.

How long should I do the Tegaderm? Is there a point where I should use something else? Is there a point where I can just put larger regular ace bandage types (4" square ones) on the wounds (with ointment) or should I just keep going with the Tegaderm?

I'm 6 days out from the crash.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Sorry to hear about your crash. IME, it really depends. How fast you heal and how deep the scrapes are are two big factors. I generally have used Tegaderm for as long as possible - if you need more, order in bulk from Amazon. If it oozes a lot, change the Tegaderm.
This.

If the wound is deep, it takes longer. Normal road rash, if there is such a thing, should be gone in a week, like all pink skin.

I'm sure the images are up there but here's some pictures - the first ones are 3 days healed. The ankle took forever, and my foot was swollen because I was in a wheelchair (for pelvic fractures, not the ankle). And the elbow took a couple weeks. Sprinter della Casa: Life - Visuals Of A Recovery

FYI that was the first crash in forever for me, and the first time I ever broke a bone, and I'd been racing mainly crits for 27 seasons at that point. Well that finished my 27th season lol.

Amazon - $30 for 50 sheets, might be $20,. $10 more for an 11 yard roll (33 feet). Just checked. $24 for 50 sheets, $33 for 11 yard roll which is great for longer road rash but generally not necessary, although you can cut smaller pieces off as necessary.

Also first aid "painless" spray for cleaning - it numbs the surface and you can clean aggressively for a few minutes. disinfectant also. First picture in this post: Sprinter della Casa: How To - Road Rash Care

I was a promoter so I brought all that stuff to my races. I also bring them now to races anyway, because all that stuff is so expensive if you have to buy it at CVS or whatever. I offer it to any races that crash as well, so I've gone through 100 tegaderms and an 11 yard roll in the last 6 years or so. I have a new 50 sheet box (used some on my son's knee from a playground fall), first aid spray, gauze to clean but also protect the Tegaderm, tape to hold the gauze in place.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing: