Old 08-18-21, 11:00 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
On long rides, I try to take a swig about every 15' on my bottle of maltodextrin and whey protein. The big advantage is that I don't need to stop, open packages, etc. There is no slower speed than stopped. This is about what you're trying to do, just simpler, cheaper, and better. I've been doing that for about 25 years.
Thanks for your reply Carbonfiberboy .

I like the idea of the malodextrin & whey protein in a water bottle.

I imagine you need a versatile water bottle that can clean up easily and have a cap design that allows all the orifices to be scrubbed out to keep flowing correctly.

I know what whey protein is like. It is pretty mealy I think and would clog my non-serviceable Purist bottle. Does yours leave bottle residue & how do you clean the whole system?

I just purchased this slightly more expensive Purist bottle (with the “Watergate” cap):

Apparently this cap is an upgrade.

I’m hoping that the valve will easily come apart for cleaning. Have yet to try it though.

Here is a photo of the reusable storage pouch I’ve been playing around with:

Target sells these. The are the cheaper one they sell. This one is made of PVC shower curtain material I believe. AFAIK these don’t contain carcinogenic chemicals but might need to upgrade to the better ones to be sure.

As a 59 year old rider I have experienced different training motivation schemes from cycling season to cycling season. Having just 1 stop where I unclip on a 42 mile ride favors certain food/fluid options is a good workman-like option.

Especially if I have to trick myself into clever ways of getting bonus miles. I can pull over, unclip safely standing on that foot. Take 3 or 4 bites from the pouch & reseal it to replace in back middle jersey pocket pretty quickly. I have had to tweak a few things to assure the the ziplock remains clean (lick it or squirt some water on it). Once earlier this season, I had watermelon in there with the juice and I didn’t fully seal the zip-lock so pink sticky liquid got all on the back of my white Ale’ jersey when it leached out of side oriented pouch. The sticky liquid dried in the sun on my back. Good thing the sweat bees were not as numerous as they are this week.

My 2nd option and the option I'm perfecting for this cycling season has me un-clipping a half dozen or 10 episodes per total ride. Thank goodness for the clip in pedal efficiency of Shimano SPD-R pedals!

Last edited by masi61; 08-18-21 at 11:19 AM.