View Single Post
Old 03-22-19, 10:46 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Drivers who have the right of way, yet still attempt to let me pass.
I gotta say I really do find this annoying -- and it's a serious issue in Portland where a lot of cycling revolves around identity/ideological tribalism. Not only do cars often stop on through roads when I have a stop sign, I've actually had them stop at a green light and try to wave me through a red, as recently as last week.

Aside from being annoying, it encourages dangerous behaviors. By my perspective, at least 90% of Portland cyclists are out of their minds. I've never seen so many people ride like that anywhere else I've lived -- which is good because it's virtually guaranteed to get you seriously hurt or worse in most places. I worry the screwball things you can get away with here will make me complacent.

Originally Posted by mjac
"Jim from Boston" what are you and "Joey Bike" doing? "Archwhorides" doesn't want to hear about this type of stuff. He only wants to hear about little annoyances. Show some respect.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I love everything about cycling except the drivers, other cyclists, pedestrians, electric scooters, cold, rain, wind, potholes, gravel, sharps that cut my tires, traffic controls, mechanical problems, lack of infrastructure, homeless people taking over infrastructure when it exists, lack of a way to secure my bike, lack of showers, bugs, loose dogs, hills, the amount of time it takes to cover long distances, inability to carry much cargo or transport other people/animals, and that it's totally impractical when you're sick. If it weren't for those things, cycling would be perfect and everyone would ride bikes to get around.