Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What may annoy you when commuting?
Originally Posted by banerjek
Nothing really gets to me -- seriously.

There's nothing more futile than struggling against inevitability, in this case the cycling environment. Bad drivers, morons, difficult conditions, etc. are all part of that. Gotta find a way to embrace it...
I'm certain everything is way underreported.

However, the reality is that cycling has never been easier or safer. ...Culture is WAY more accepting of cyclists than it's ever been. The equipment is far better too.

Not that there's not plenty of room for improvement but it's so much better and easier than it was it's not even funny. Curiously, cyclists seem way more scared than they used to be. Not sure what's going on there.
Just realized my list was missing a few things....

Other than that, cycling is awesome
Originally Posted by mjac
Anytime you ride in the street and do not get killed, it is a plus. I do not recommend it. ...It only takes one Jackass and you are going to lose the battle with a 21/2 Ton Automobile.

The number of Ghost Funerals in this City alone is unbelievable. Their ain't nothing Romantic about it. You are Hurt or you are Dead and a Statistic that everyone will forget about.
The City is New Orleans. It amazes me that you can so easily dismiss the injuries and deaths of cyclists riding on urban streets. It happens.

I see evidence of it on a regular basis. Yet you tend to ignore it like it does not exist and make fun. The point merely is to acknowledge the danger and find your own personal way of dealing with it.

I have no control over what a driver does with his car. How you and others deal with it is up to you. I can not tell anyone what to do. But acknowledge the danger exists and deal with it. Do not pretend that it does not exist.

There is nothing trite about getting killed and you can not say it does not happen. Talk to me when you have been broad sided by a car going the wrong direction and being left for dead in the street by a hit and run driver. rolltheeyes.
I propose we fly you and your recumbent down to New Orleans, saddle you up in Chalmette and point you toward the CBD on Claiborne Ave. so you can add to your list of "little" annoyances ( keeping with the theme of the thread as instructed by PC Archwhorides)

Like as when you approach Brad Pitt's Make it Right Development at the foot of the Claiborne Bridge in the Lower Nine the sound of whizzing bullets. The Lower Nine makes Chicago's Southside look like Disney Land.
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Why?

If you recognize any specific annoyances to you, then go ahead and post them. I don't think this thread is asking for anyone's verification or validation.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The OP posted such an open-ended question, that my best answer was nothing that would make me want to give up cycling, or too trite to enumerate, even after being hit by a car from behind.

However, I have posted to several threads, though not as heatedly as @mjac...
and your point is...

I did not mean to sound heated. I merely wanted to introduce some reality into the situation. These Ghost Bike Funerals are happening all the time around here. Each one of these represents a dead cicylist. Recently two cicylist were killed at the same time by a drunk driver. That is reality
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
... When I was composing my reply to your [first] post, I tried to judge the “tenor” of your post,and choose the appropriate description. My first choice was “vehement,” but that seemed too strident.

Even now, I can’t think of another synonym, though perhaps “morbid” comes to mind. Nonetheless, I was acknowledging the gavity of your concerns.
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Well, it started out as a nice thread listing everybody's experiences. But it took just under two days before someone's opinion got challenged with the typical tone of " Then why are you cycling?"

And you know what happens with online discussions from there.
Once again someone takes something the wrong way. ME AND BANERJECK HAVE BEEN GOING BACK AND FORTH RIBBING EACH OTHER FOR A NUMBER OF POSTS. IT WAS ALL IN FUN (emphasis added).
So @mjac, all this talk about riding in the streets and getting killed, ghost funerals,
the injuries and deaths of cyclists riding on urban streets, drunk drivers, losing the battle with a 2-1/2 ton automobile, getting broad sided and being left for dead by a hit and run driver, and whizzing bullets at the foot of Claiborne Bridge ARE ALL IN FUN??? :

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-24-19 at 04:34 PM.