View Single Post
Old 04-23-21, 07:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
T, I know you're mostly kidding about a long ride in rain, ....
Yes I was being as sarcastic as I could. I have had lots of all day rides in the rain, but I would never actually do it on purpose unless the only choice was sitting in a very boring spot for a day.

And you might have seen in a previous thread where I put down some discarded sheets of newspaper on the ground in my tent vestibule area to keep my gear separate from the mud. Such days can be unpleasant for so many reasons.

For example, my Maritimes trip in 2019, I stayed at a hostel for three nights when I saw that the forecast was for five consecutive days or rain. Thus, I rode two days in rain, dried out for two at the hostel and then the fifth day of rain was the day I took the photo of the puddles in my previous post. I could have stayed at the hostel for a fourth night, but really wanted to get rolling and decided with only one more day of rain, I could dry out the next day.

This photo was from the first of those five days of rain.

One more quick note on rain gear. I really hate rain pants that keep sliding down on me. I use some cheap clip on suspenders to keep my rain pants up without having to pull a draw string so tight that it actually works. The only downside of suspenders is that you have to take off a jacket first to put the rain pants on. Thus, if you are already wearing a rain jacket for warmth when the rain starts, that adds a couple extra steps.