View Single Post
Old 03-27-24, 01:20 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked 1,942 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
I think a lot of cyclists lose hearing later in life, but don't necessarily correlate the two things.
Educated motorcyclists know that wind blast can damage hearing. We wear ear plugs inside our helmets.
Cyclists think they're not fast enough, but riding 10 mph into a 20 mph wind is enough to be significant, especially hours on end.

For you, I recommend foam ear plugs.

For others whose hearing isn't damaged yet, look into Cat Ears; they really work. Not as well as ear plugs, but they don't give any sensation of losing the desired type of hearing:
https://www.cat-ears.com/

I finally bought a pair for my regular road helmet. I added a helmet with built-in LEDs recently, went for one ride on a windy night and came home with an earache. I'm ordering another set. Oh, and they're US-made.
I had to wear ear plugs when riding road motorcycles - but did not when riding off road motorcycles

( made a difference when riding on the road despite full face / coverage helmet - but no difference when riding off road … kinda odd )

also had to wear ear plugs when riding snowmobiles … absolute must … most of the problem source appeared to be from the mechanical noise / whir from the engine and CVT clutch / trans - more than the exhaust noise …

Last edited by t2p; 03-27-24 at 01:26 PM.
Likes For t2p: