Old 07-03-21, 12:48 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Indigo82
Thanks for the input.

Here are the photos:

1) Panniers moved closest to the pedals on top bar

2) Panniers moved away from the pedals as far as possible on top bar

Can you please suggest should I keep panniers located like in photo 1) close to pedals or in photo 2) away from pedals? The difference is 1 inch only I guess but does it make any difference in handling. Thank you.
Option 1 as shown in the photo looks like the aft-most pannier hook could slide off the rear of the rack and possibly fall off. Option 2 looks better.

The key here is when you hit a bump, the panniers might shift their rack position, and I have seen panniers completely come off a bike when someone hits a good bump, I almost ran over one of my touring partner's panniers once when it flew off his bike. And his pannier was big enough that if I hit it, I would have crashed.

Most of my rack and pannier combinations have something that will prevent the position of the pannier on the rack from moving fore or aft, perhaps a bump on the rack or perhaps I adjusted the hook position on my pannier (Ortlieb and Carradry pannier hooks have adjustable positions) so that the pannier can't move fore or aft.