View Single Post
Old 11-16-22, 01:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,923 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Prolly.

What car should I get? The Cooper Mini electric is SO CUTE but I don’t think my bike will fit in the back, even with the seats down.
I spent a couple hours looking into electric cars, it kind of reinforced my thinking, which is that if you only ever drive locally, and can charge at home, especially during off-peak hours, they seem great. Road trips, however, can be fraught with range anxiety and charging anxiety. The last part is FAR less true for Teslas, because of their supercharger network, which may be the real genius of Tesla - building out a network of chargers ahead of need, and having them just work reliably. I'm not looking to replace the Dodge for at least 2 years, maybe longer, but most likely what I'll replace it with will be electric, and I'm hoping that charging infrastructure will be out of its 'growing pains' years.

Regarding not holding a bike, I carried my bikes on a roof rack for years when I had a Subaru Outback, which was convenient, BUT if I brought a bike to work for riding afterwards, I had to take it off the rack, bring it inside, then put it back on the rack when I left to drive to where I rode from. Sure, you can lock your fork mount. And a determined thief could steal everything but the fork with a 5mm allen key.
EDIT: Since I got the Dodge, I just chuck the bike in the back with the seats down, and it is both secure and largely out of sight..

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles