Old 12-10-17, 11:24 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I took a quick look at several other of his videos including some more frame cutups and a carbon wheel cutup. They all have lots of the same kinds of ugly things that are in the BMC cutup, though admittedly the BMC one just looks uglier. I guess the bottom line is that these things are laid up in a mold and then have compressed air blown into a baggy inside that presses the carbon fiber prepreg up against the mould. The process will make a nice looking appearance on the outside, but on the inside it's not going to be pretty. Lots of those videos show extra resin that's been squeezed up out of the prepreg and then hardened. It's probably a little better that it have a little more resin than it needs to completely filled the laminate, and have the excess squeezed out, than have places without enough resin and end up with voids or weak laminate. I'm no CF engineer so that's just my opinion looking at this.

But just remember these manufacturing processes are designed to make the bike functional and look good on the outside. You guys are looking at the man behind the curtain a little here. I'll assume that the products are actually OK until someone shows specific example of actual flaws in there with evidence supporting that that flaw will in fact lead to premature breakage, asploding, or whatever.