View Single Post
Old 07-07-20, 11:31 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Oh do tell.

Project Rudy had a 50% off sale around thanksgiving and I really thought hard getting a last year’s model with chromatic lenses but passed. I still think perhaps I should have gotten them.

I’m a bit of enigma to myself when it comes to this. My eyes are sensitive to bright light, but I don’t like and can’t handle dark sunglasses for prolonged duration.

I wear them religiously for eye protection purposes when riding and I settled on orange/yellow/mango colored lenses. Clear enough to wear 5:15 in the morning when riding to work and bordering manageable for bright sun around 4:00 in the afternoon when I’m heading back home. I’d like to try chromatic lenses but the higher the UV exposure, the darker they get (plus they tend to be more efficient in low temperatures) and it was/is the thing I don’t like about them on my transitions prescription eye glasses. They get disturbingly dark in the winter time and then don’t get light enough quickly when your indoors.
I prefer yellow lenses in all situations. I originally got them for riding at night on back roads with no ambient light. I was blinded by the oncoming traffic, so I got the yellow photo- chromatic lenses to cut the glare.
Edit: photo- chromatic is not the word I'm looking for, but it's the word I came up with.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 07-07-20 at 11:38 AM.