View Single Post
Old 07-02-21, 05:17 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
One of the issues with the way I want to do it is that if I want to have motels to stay in, I'll probably have to make reservations in the smaller towns. Some of the towns I have researched only have one "inn."
Yeah I can see that, but are small town motels actually booked very far ahead other than just a few in places or could you maintain a fairly flexible schedule and book only a few days ahead where required?

I don't know the answer for your tour, but I have generally been able to find a room when I wanted one on my tours. That was only once in a while for me so I am not a good test and there are places that are certainly booked solid during tourist season.

It would help a great deal if your schedule put you in the places like Yellowstone at a time when you'd need rooms on sunday-wednesday nights when the demand was lower rather than thursday-saturday nights. Also I'd think it gets better after labor day.

Additionally since you are doing a mix of camping and moteling, missing a room one night here or there because of no vacancies would be less of a disaster.

I guess it boils down to how comfortable you are winging it as you go. I'd be inclined to start out with no reservations or only ones a day or two ahead and adjust how far ahead to make them based on what the reality on the road was. If you are more of a planner who likes things nailed down and either likes or at least doesn't mind having a fixed schedule then booking everything may be better for you. It would kind of spoil the trip for me.

Whichever way you go have a great trip.
Likes For staehpj1: