View Single Post
Old 01-26-22, 02:00 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Indoor cycling & sore knees

This might be a 'duh' moment, but I think I've learned indoor and outdoor cycling ain't exactly the same. My wife (who doesn't bike outdoors) and I bought an indoor bike (Bowflex Velocore) about 4-6 weeks ago. I was hoping it would help me stay fit during the colder months. My enthusiasm for biking outdoors in sub-50 degrees has begun to wane. I'll grind through it if necessary, but now that I have an alternative, I've been off the road bike and on the indoor bike.

However, my knees are swelled and sore. I've never had that happen before from doing anything. Got the knees checked today, no injury, but apparently a classic case of overuse in a new activity that I mistook for an indoor version of the old activity. My road bike endurance conspired against me, making it easy for me to pedal for a long time, but against greater/non-stop resistance that my knees couldn't tolerate. Doctor says it won't hurt them to continue riding indoors or out, but that I need to take it down a notch until my knees catch up.

Anyone have any other insights on this issue, or thoughts on indoor bikes in general?

(edit to note - I'm 58, so I might've been fine doing this 20 years ago)