View Single Post
Old 03-25-22, 07:42 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1385:

While last week was unseasonably warm with temps in the upper 50s, this week has been more typical "South Dakota spring" with high temps in the 30s and 40s and lots of wind. Monday night through Wednesday morning we had rain mixed with snow.

Today I woke up with a "high wind warning" on my phone. The wind is a constant 30 mph with gust over 50 mph. The temp was 33°F, which meant the windchill was quite a ways south of that temp. I wore my balaclava even though I usually reserve it for air temps colder than 20°F. Glad I did.

Heading to the client location I had to ride straight into that wind. The pavement was dry and clear, so I took the road bike as it cuts through wind a lot better than my other bikes. Even on the road bike, I found myself only maintaining about 8 mph for a good chunk of the commute.

Riding home should be pretty fast. The wind is supposed to decrease slightly by then, but I should still get a good push.