View Single Post
Old 06-27-22, 11:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It's a clamp on. I know I aligned the FD so it was totally parallel with the chainrings and the orange sticker lined up with the chainring teeth, then set the funny screw to have the two white lines meet (is that what is the positioning screw?) and the limit screws all before the cable was connected/tensioned.

Again, it worked PERFECTLY for a few months and now it's ok but one in 100 shifts drops a chain.
The funny screw to have the white lines meet is cable tension. If your FD is the braze-on type, there's a little plate, less than 1cm square, that sticks to your frame, and a screw that pushes against it to push the tail of the cage away from the frame. On the Ultimate, because of where the braze-on mount is, there's nothing for that screw to push on, so I was extremely careful aligning the cage before I tightened the mounting screw.

I'd go through the limit screws again. Whenever I've had chain drop, it's because I set the limit screws too open.

I had two chainsuck incidents on the Ritchey recently. Curiously, they happened at EXACTLY the same place on my ride, a place where the road goes from descending to ascending, enough so that, combined with the headwind, I run out of gears in the big ring. I suspect the problem could be that I have the unfortunate tendency to shift front and rear at the same time, which is a no-no. Both times the chain locked up, but I backpedaled half a turn and it resolved. There are not enough miles on those rings, or the chain, for it to be wear on either.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles