OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
just as a reference for the OP
all reference on clinchers, with light weight butyl tubes
Back in the 90's I started running 'lower' psi, in high end 23c Michelins - that was 105 rr and 100 frt, at the time I was 164 lbs +-
Then mid to later 90s and early y2k went down to 95 rr and 90 frt - 160 lbs, also 23c same type tire.
Early 2010s I went down to 90 rr, 86 frt - still 160 lbs. some 23c some 25c, but same psi within a couple lbs. mostly Conti GP 4000
In 2021, back on bike after long stint with still ongoing illness, 150 lbs, ran 85 rr, 80 frt, 23c & 25c
Just a month ago had some recovery from serious food poisoning, which took me down to 142 lbs... AND recently started using TPU tubes in Rubino Pros 23 & 25c - running those at 75 rr, 72 frt.
In all these situations cases, I've never felt the pressures were too low. Not rock hard ride, but also not very 'comfy'.
I can tell the difference in tire quality, re performance. I would occasionally give lower than listed pressures a try, but mostly noticed the 'handling' experience proved to be the biggest difference.
Depending on the tires you use - better quality tires giving better 'compliance', feel and speed - I would start with the pressure numbers from respected online sources, and see how they feel.
A Super hard tire might feel 'fast', but depending on your riding surfaces, that may not prove true.
Weight being a consideration, but at a certain point, additional pressure isn't going to support you better or roll faster - it'll just be super harsh.
Tubulars and tubeless, of course, will resolve differently...
For me, my riding can vary so much depending on how I'm feeling, that using actual ride numbers to compare just isn;t valid.
But If I have a good day, and the bike and tires felt good, then whatever pressure I used, is prolly not a deciding factor...
Ever since Y2k, as clincher road tires improved dramatically, the lower pressures have sure 'felt' fast and allowed way better traction on those roads which had 'heavy' surfaces.
When and If I go to wider profile, going even further down is certainly in the cards - except 23 & 25 still feel great to me...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen: