Old 09-11-19, 06:02 PM
Speedldew

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neck pain after ~30Min of riding

So, I'm 1,80m (5,9 foot) and I have a Trek Checkpoint SL in Size 54 and use a large seatdome. Problem is, that every time after riding about 30 minutes the right side of my neck starts hurting. Now, despite riding Size 54 I'm feeling quite stretched out so the reach might still be a little bit too long for me (appearently I just have rather long legs in relation to my upper body) and since I use the shortest version of the Redshift suspension stem I can't shorten the reach with a shorter stem anymore. However the stock Handlebar has a pretty long reach with 85mm (42cm wide) so I could upgrade to one with a shorter reach. I'm thinking about the Zipp Service Course 70 XPLR which has a reach of 70mm and also a backsweep which would be nice since I never felt quite comfortable on the tops either. Also the 42cm feel okayish on the hoods but a bit narrow on the tops so I'm thinking about going to a 44 or maybe even 46cm? I don't care much for aerodynamics - comfort is my main goal here.
I also want to mention that I don't just ride my bike but also work out in the gym and the neck pain only pops up during cycling and trying to straighten out my posture under supervision of a physical therapist didn't improve anything, unfortunately. Turning the stem around to sit higher also didn't help.
So, would shortening the reach be a valid approach to fix my issues and if so, should I go for a 44 or a 46 (42 definitaly feels a little bit too narrow on the tops)? Any input would be welcome.

Last edited by Speedldew; 09-11-19 at 06:08 PM.