View Single Post
Old 07-22-13, 05:46 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Great ride gabedad! 56 miles and looks like a great route and good weather. Please tell me you didn't spin a max of 222 rpm! Very impressive data. How was the route in terms of pavement quality, traffic and, something I've been paying more attention to lately, shade? I know you rode Sunday so I expect there wasn't much traffic.

Today, IN SUB 80F WEATHER I tweaked my long wheel based recumbent derailleur enough for a test spin and bumped into a neighbor with a new handlebar stem and rear cluster and our bikes agreed to what turned out to be a 32 mile test ride. I made up a flat as possible ride through Millis, Norfolk, Walpole, Westwood, Medfield and back to Sherborn. My 65 year old Nairo Quintana neighbor has a snappy new carbon fiber Giant so I was in search of.... no, in avoidance of, hills. Recumbents take special conditioning and I ain't it.

Early in the ride, sailing down a mild down hill, mild twist, superb Nason Hill country road I was comfortable but couldn't calibrate speed with sound, wind or effort they way I/you/we can with our usual, tried and true, no surprises, did you miss me, regular bike.

All went well and I coasted down hill and felt the "feel the burn" on the occasional uphill. I tried to simulate a diamond frame rider's pace. Nairo likes his longer stem but suffered a little with his "you won't notice the difference" Tiagra rear cassette. I suffered what there was for hills but in the end burned less than normal on the flattest 32 mile loop I could dream up.

I didn't map it like gabedad and will improve it next time but it is a nice loop. Nobody say anything; the weather is.......nice.