Old 10-30-22, 01:23 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Clipless Boot or Winter Shoe Suggestions?

Been riding seriously for about 3 1/2 years including the winters of 19-20, 20-21 and 21-22. Was using flat pedals and just wearing progressively heavier footwear including insulated snow boots which work great for mountain biking on trails and mud or standing water and while heavy and performance robbing, keep my feet warm down to ~0'F. Got all the other clothing to boot and now thinking of doing longer rides like a couple winter centuries even.

I finally went clipless on my road bike this summer and found a significant amount of power/efficiency, about 2mph for same effort. Given how hard it is to pedal in winter with extra weight, extra drag and the tax the old takes on your body I'd love to attempt these epic rides with clipless setup but what I have on flat pedals works REALLY well at least to keep me warm. So now I am seeing all kinds of winter foot wear. I ride SPD pedals because they are far easier to clip in, clip out of and walk around. Am willing to pay a bit more for quality, comfort and durability. I have read the 45 North offerings are really good but fragile and break easily so am at a loss. Any suggestions for durable, quality, comfortable clipless footwear good down to ~0F that will be compatible with SPD pedals?