Old 11-01-22, 06:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
Been riding seriously for about 3 1/2 years including the winters of 19-20, 20-21 and 21-22. Was using flat pedals and just wearing progressively heavier footwear including insulated snow boots which work great for mountain biking on trails and mud or standing water and while heavy and performance robbing, keep my feet warm down to ~0'F. Got all the other clothing to boot and now thinking of doing longer rides like a couple winter centuries even.

I finally went clipless on my road bike this summer and found a significant amount of power/efficiency, about 2mph for same effort. Given how hard it is to pedal in winter with extra weight, extra drag and the tax the old takes on your body I'd love to attempt these epic rides with clipless setup but what I have on flat pedals works REALLY well at least to keep me warm. So now I am seeing all kinds of winter foot wear. I ride SPD pedals because they are far easier to clip in, clip out of and walk around. Am willing to pay a bit more for quality, comfort and durability. I have read the 45 North offerings are really good but fragile and break easily so am at a loss. Any suggestions for durable, quality, comfortable clipless footwear good down to ~0F that will be compatible with SPD pedals?
I've been riding the same 45NRTH Wölvhammer since 2016. Nothing has broken, no issues at all. This is an old design, but when I replace these, it'll be with another pair. The only change, go one size bigger for warmer/bulky socks for the deepest cold.

I ride temps as cold as -30F (air temp), these boots aren't enough for the coldest temps. But at 0F, I'm good for 25 miles of fatbiking in my Wölvhammer with wool snowboard socks.

Afterthought: I'll be riding these boots for the Tuscobia Winter Ultra at the end of next month ... I'm doing the short route, only 80 miles.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-01-22 at 06:50 AM. Reason: unfinished post
Likes For Hypno Toad: