Old 11-11-22, 07:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
Por un beso de la gorda yo daria lo que fuera.
Por un beso de la gorda aunque solo uno fuera.

Nice fat bike. I got a Salsa Mukluk XT I modified with upgraded carbon wheels and a carbon bar as well as a dropper. It's my go to MTB but my plan is to do longer winter rides this year because this was my year of centuries. Have done many of them starting with my first but that was in March. It was raining and 35-65 degrees that day, was armed with good base layers but I used flat pedal shoes on my carbon bike. I also have my winter beater, a flat bar hybrid that will stay flat pedal but for the winter centuries I am planning definitely need a way to be able to stay outside in temps 0-20F (it never gets colder than 0 where I live) all day long. So far my longest winter ride has been about 35 miles using winter boots on flat pedals. Yikes can argue about benefits of carbon vs aluminum or how Dura-Ace craps all over the other groupsets because its so much lighter but the truth is heavy boots, 2 wool socks and three layers on your pants and all that extra weight WILL slow you down by a huge margin.

Do you find the 45NRTH Wolfhammer boots to be hard to clip in and out of? I tried a variety of clipless shoes before finding myself doing well with the Bontrager Cambions. They seem to clip in and out easier. I tried other brands including Giro for SPD compatible platforms but the clipping in and out is much harder which is frustrating. I have to tilt the pedal and push VERY hard and even then it's not hard enough. In group rides sometimes I have to fall back for a while before both feet actually lock in. Sad to know the Cambio is not out of production. That is what the local Trek store told me about their winter boots as well. I guess that doesn't help me know for this winter's plans.
My boots are great for clipping in/out, I'm a big fan of Crank Bros pedals and the Pugsley runs their Mallet E. I use Crank Bros on all my bikes, Eggbeaters on road bikes, Candy on gravel bikes, and Double-Shot on the commuter.

I had a race in February on frozen Lake Minnetonka, we started with temps around 10F and found a patch of water on the ice (going under a road where road salt melted the top layer of ice). I got my feet wet and that quickly froze into my cleats ... I spent the rest of the race on terrible platform pedals. This is what my rims looked like when I got home (and I bike 10 miles from the race to get home) ... I don't want to think about how much my Pugsley weighed when I got home.

Congrats on the long rides and centuries! At the risk of self-promoting ... I've done many century rides on this Pugsley and completed the 2021 DAMn with this bike. Here's a thread on The DAMn and my post from last year.