Old 04-25-21, 07:12 PM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
I'm part of the minority here, I like the quieter hubs. When I was ordering new wheels, I chose DT 350s for their lack of hub noise more than their pricing. It's heavier, but I don't race and it's at the center of the wheel, so the weight doesn't matter as much as the rims do in my experience.

A good friend of mine got the I9 Torch hubs and I personally find the noise a bit grating.

He also thinks that hikers on the trails can hear his hubs, but the hub sound doesn't travel through the woods as well as he thinks it does, so the hikers don't hear him anyways. He then complains to me about how hikers should just move over when they hear a mountain biker even though hikers have right of way... I offered to buy him a bell, but he refuses to put on bells on his bikes, so I get to listen to the same complaint over and over again.

Just buy hubs at or above DT 350 quality and you'll get a good, serviceable hub that'll last many years. Hell, even Formula or NovaTec hubs are pretty damn good. You can look up YouTube videos of hub noises, or visit the local bike shops to get an idea of how they sound in person.
Likes For Parkyy16: