Old 09-21-21, 02:02 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Actually they are. If my bikes were stolen tomorrow, I would buy a disc-brake bike to replace them, because the industry is eliminating all sources of parts to keep rim-brake bikes on the road. It is a poor strategic decision to buy a rim-brake bike at this point in time. I do prefer the look, simplicity, and lower cost of rim, but I'm really only sticking with it because I have two very nice bikes that are 100% paid-for. And unfortunately a lot of people in my position are going to be punished for making smart financial choices by ending up with a paperweight they can't get parts for.

If the industry came out and said it would continue to support, in some reduced but adequate fashion, the umpteen millions of rim bikes, you'd see most of these internet arguments go away. Most of the anger is directed at the reality they may not be able to keep using what they bought.
Epic levels of fear-mongering with this one. Shimano has announced their latest Ultegra and Dura-Ace will have rim brakes available, same for SRAM as well as Campagnolo. Numerous aftermarket manufactures also make rim brakes currently and for the foreseeable future not to mention NOS supplies which will be available for as long as you will live. As an example, Tubulars are as outdated niche product as any in this sport and are still available as are the rims.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged: