Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 12-05-22, 09:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Tires arrived today! Just shy of $200 for three Corsa Control G 2.0s. Originally that was the cost of two, shipped, but a rep at Maine Cycles (the Ebay retailer I got them from) told me they had 3 left, two had 'discolored sidewalls', and the third was perfect. After all the issues lately in trying to procure just a single pair of good, modern tubulars, I asked if I could get a pic or two, just in case. He obliged. I really couldn't make out any difference in the pics, and said so, but he held to his original offer: because two were discolored, and only one was unmarked, he tossed in the third free of charge.

These tires feel quality, for real. Nice, thick tread, sidewalls supple, and liberally coated with latex or whatever syn stuff they use today. And, best of all, the embossed tire pressure info (on the rubber tread) and the label both state the 25mm version can take pressures all the way up to 175 psi. Whoo-hoo!

A couple pics - not taped yet, just stretching:

DD
I rode Cycle Oregon on the 28c Corsa G+ tubs. What a ride! And yes, quality tires! Haven't felt that level of confidence downhill on roads I'd never seen before in many years! No 25 yo testosterone levels needed. I found two goatheads at rest stops. First was a pump and ride 3+ miles slow leak. Second I saw before I took off. I had the mechanics put an ounce of their Bontranger sealant in and both tires have been issue free since.

I love that ribbed thread. I rode many ribbed thread training/club race ribbed treads back in my racing days and the decade after. Took that tread completely for granted. Then it disappeared for decades. Vittoria brought it back on the Corsas. First ribbed tread ride back, I had to ride off the pavement edge on a two lane county road to allow a 70 mph passing Camaro to go by. Got handed the choice of riding into a ditch or climbing back onto the pavement in sand. I choose the pavement, The tires just climbed up through the sand, no big deal. Thank you, thank you, thank you! (and "oh yeah,that ribbed tread always was the best for climbing out of cracks, ruts ... They went a long ways to making those skinny tires ride-able on not very good New England roads.)
Likes For 79pmooney: