Old 05-16-23, 10:18 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
To me, clipless pedals (not to be confused with toe clips and straps, or flat pedals) make riding slightly more cumbersome, but more enjoyable if I'm exerting high efforts, such as steep climbs or fast cadence. For casual riding, short distances, flat terrain, and especially for lots of starting and stopping, I prefer flat pedals. A big factor in my pedal choices is how much walking I plan to do in my bike shoes. Some are much more walkable than others.

Currently, I have bikes with each of the following:
SPD-SL clipless
Speedplay Zero clipless
Toe clips and straps
Flat pedals

I've also used two-sided SPD (mountain/touring style) in the past but currently don't have those installed on any bike.

Each of these systems is chosen according to the bike's character and its intended or typical use, and each has its pros and cons.

To respond more specifically to the OPs suggested scenario, I'll note this... last night I did my favorite interval workout ride, which involves repetitions of short, steep climbs at max effort. The whole ride is 13.8 miles and took me about 45 minutes. (My personal best, a few years ago, was 42:something). I always do this workout on a fixed gear track bike, which means spinning really fast on the short, steep descents. I absolutely get the workout done faster and more effectively with clipless pedals. On a five mile ride in the neighborhood, just for fun, especially if I want to get off at the park and walk around or if I'm towing my grandson in a bike trailer, having clipless pedals will not get me done faster. That's okay, because the point is not to finish soon.

Last edited by Broctoon; 05-16-23 at 10:31 AM.