SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Boeshield T-9 is good too, I used that on one bike for about a year. And I've used it to slick up old cables and pivot points in derailleurs. It seems to be comparable to Rock 'n' Roll Gold in performance, although I'm not sure Boeshield uses naphtha as a carrier -- you can really smell the naphtha in Rock 'n' Roll lubes. I still apply those lubes indoors but I use a needle dropper to carefully apply single droplets at a time.
How do you apply Boeshield T-9 on cables? Maybe I need a needle dropper too? Best is I can switch between Boeshield T-9 and Rock N Roll without deep cleaning the chain with no ill effects.

That's not how RnR recommends applying their lubes but it works for me. They recommend basically drenching the chains in their lubes, to both clean and lube the chains by replacing old lubes via the naphtha washing out old lubes and leaving behind PTFE (with Absolute Dry) or PTFE plus a little light oil (Gold).
The Rock N Roll recommended method makes a huge mess. I am not quite as judicious as you; I hold the bottle so that I can drip two drops on each roller, and most of it drips off anyway. I think that is sufficient rinsing action.

The only bike I still use with Park CL-1 is a hybrid that's my all weather and errand bike. It's tenacious stuff and seems to get better during and after a rain, so it doesn't wash out easily. But in dry weather on gritty chipseal and gravel it picks up gunky debris, like any wet lube.
I try not to do too much maintenance on my hybrid. It is only for riding around the neighborhood with my son. Maybe when he gets faster ...

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 05-21-21 at 11:00 PM.