Old 01-28-23, 10:11 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
TBH, the general rule around here is that racks aren't placed in any of these locations. They're also mostly oriented the other way in the few places I see them.
​​​​​​
the other direction works well when the sidewalks are 12’ or more, otherwise the bikes block the accessible way.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think we're disagreeing much here, I'm just saying that there's a lot of situations where the city is going to be in a far better place to coordinate their construction and placement.

If that's a standard template in the US, I'm rather surprised. I don't recall seeing bike racks spaced like that anywhere. One or two per block would be a lot in my experience if you don't count bike share docks.
totally agree - outside of new development or major remodeling, this is done most easily by the city itself. here, for example:

The SFMTA installs racks for short-term bike parking in the public right-of-way (on the sidewalk or in the parking lane) by request, at no charge. The SFMTA does not install racks on private property or for purposes of longer-term bike storage. Only requests for locations where the SFMTA Bicycle Parking Guidelines can be met will be fulfilled. In general, there are two types of short-term bicycle parking, including: sidewalk bicycle racks and bicycle corrals.

Short-Term Bike Parking

Sidewalk Bike Racks

Sidewalk bicycle racks are installed on the sidewalk for short-term parking in the public right of way. Most sidewalk bicycle racks look like an inverted-U shape and up to two bicycles can be parked on the rack.

Bicycle Corrals

On-street bicycle parking corrals are bicycle racks placed in the parking lane on the roadway where short-term demand for bike parking is higher than can be accommodated on the sidewalk. Approximately 8 to 12 bikes can be parked in one car space***—making bike corrals a comparatively efficient use of roadway space. …
of course, the united states being what it is, there is no “standard” but every “better streets” plan i’ve ever seen for an urbanized area is similar in concept. building -> frontage zone (doors and so on) -> clear accessible through pathway -> street furniture/tree zone. it’s actually also codified by NACTO, the national organization of transport officials - but that has no binding power over anyone. https://nacto.org/publication/urban-...nts/sidewalks/

anyway, way deep into the rabbit hole but bottom line, these things are pretty easy to solve in an urban environment, new businesses/buildings should have to provide them in the public way, but the vast majority of businesses are existing, not new, so the city should have a program to put them in. many cities do, i’m sure more do not.

outside of my professional life, i actually tested out the local program by which you can request one. called in, gave the location, a few weeks later there was a bunch of spray paint on the sidewalk, a few days later a bike rack.