View Single Post
Old 04-23-20, 09:02 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 890 Posts
Tinkered a bit with the Rawland Nordavinden to increase the pre-load on the Stronglight needle-bearing headset, hoping to cure the shimmy I had encountered at speed on a previous ride, then took it out for a hilly ride that would let me test that, 18 miles out Mass. Ave. and Marrett Road to Middle Street, then rolling under 128 on Lincoln Street, on past the Cambridge Reservoir and up Mill Street to North Great Road/2A to Old Mass. Ave. and Fisk Hill, then a block down Wood Street to Mass. Ave. and up the big hill slowly, down the big hill swiftly and on home on the long descent through Lexington and Arlington. No shimmy observed, no more tinkering with the headset unless that recurs.

Mass. Ave., Arlington: a roadkill rubber glove, souvenir of the pandemic, in a nekulturny equivalence class with discarded nips, hypodermic needles, and little bags of dog poop.

Arlington Center: Forty years of fun!

Climbing towards Arlington Heights.

Village of East Lexington, quietly time-travelling.

Lincoln: the Cambridge Reservoir looks to be fully charged. Lots of cyclists and runners along Lexington Road/Lincoln Street, more often masked than not. Good to be out in the sunny weather.

Mill Street, Lincoln: Please Oberve Speed Limits.

Fiske Hill, Minute Man National Park, seen from Old Mass. Ave., Lexington. Reminded me of lunch-hour picnics decades ago.

Stone Store, Mass. Ave., Lexington, at the top of the biggest hill on this ride, about to go whizzing down the hill, the acid test for the headset pre-load. No shimmy, I'm happy.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-24-20 at 12:50 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: