View Single Post
Old 03-15-22, 04:38 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I just go back from taking a 20 year old Yakima heavy duty bike rack to the local recycle store. A good bike rack is a long term investment. For mountain bikes and e-bikes which are heavier a car mounted rack is not a good choice. Platform type are the most versatile but these come in two flavors, the ones that have a mechanism that clamps to the bike's frame, and the ones that secure the front and rear tires as with the 1Up racks.

I highly recommend the type that has a platform for the bike's tires and a mechanism that secures the tires and not the frame as the frame type have problems with step through bikes and with carbon frames.

For three bikes there is the matter of having to reach past the front platforms to get to the one in the back for the first bike. This is where bike weight becomes important. When I had two heavy fat tire e-bikes I needed to adapt a motorcycle ramp so I could use it with the 1UP rack. The 1UP ramp is too short and the design is flawed as it bolts to the rack and precludes having a license plate mounted or even tail lights.

As a side note the $80 Hollywood Valet for bike racks is the best way to store a bike rack while off your vehicle. It is metal and has 4 wheels that can be locked so as not to roll and the rack mounts to the rack the same way it mounts to a vehicle hitch.

The best racks are all very expensive and the Kuat NV sells for $850 plus the cost of add on items. With the 3-bike Kuat the cost is more than $1200 and with the one bike add on the total weight is 91 lbs which is more than I want to lift into position and mount to a hitch. The 1Up is the lightest of the racks that can manage a large payload of heavy bikes.
Likes For Calsun: