View Single Post
Old 03-23-22, 09:14 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
gattm99 Cool bike! I wanted to nab one of the launch edition Inversions, in blue, but when I was ready to buy, none were to be found, but generally that’s true for any model year Inversion, it seems. There probably just aren’t that many, which jives with what I know about their other top models which used the hydroformed, post-weld heat treated, Japanese drawn steel, like Venturi and Lightning. For example, Breezer told me that only 149 MY12 Venturi frames went to market. It may be different for Inversion, of course, but for a top tier model from a small brand, it’s a pretty good bet volumes are dinky. But anyway, I just the tech, geometry and styling on your Inversion Pro make it really cool. Congrats!

Regarding weight, as others have said, it sounds like something is off a bit, like perhaps the calibration on your scale, or more likely, the stuff you included in the weigh-in. Published bike weights are tricky because it’s very rarely ever spec’d what was weighed. For example, it’s common to exclude pedals and cages, and manufacturers probably exclude sealant whereas reviewers may. Frame size is often not specified either, but larger frames weigh more. I don’t think most would report weight including accessories like computer, their mounts, pump, repair kits, bags, or sensors, but all that stuff adds up.

Does it add up to around 4lbs is probably the real question, and looking at your pic, I’d probably say the answer is no, because it appears you have non-stock components on there, too. Wheels, stem, seat, and bar look aftermarket; maybe there’s a bit of weight gain there?

I dunno, but I do think 28lbs for that bike (in a typical weigh-in configuration) is high, and if you strip all the extras off and re-weigh it, you’ll get a more accurate weight and one more in line with what others report for the bike.

Whatever the result, from what I’ve read, you’ve got a sweet riding bike, and if you want to shave weight, you’ve got room to do it. Yes, lower weight can make a bike feel more responsive and lively, which is great, but it does cost money, and the cost/benefit analysis is a very personal thing, so only you can say whether it’s worthwhile to do.