Old 05-30-22, 07:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I must be a terrible person. On the one hand, as a bike commuter for 28 years, I am interested in bicycle advocacy and safety...I mean, I'm here reading and responding in the A&S forum. But on the other hand my first thought after reading the article is that the youthful enthusiasm and naivete exuded by the author, D.C. medical student Wyn Dobbs, makes me feel old.

I don't disagree with anything he says, but my jaundiced eye sees his plea for doctors to get involved in cycling safety as well as other public safety issues, as a call for political coalition building. I know that is how things work in politics, through coalitions and compromises, but what you end up with is a compromised solution...and coalitions and interest groups taking stands and sides on issues that have nothing to do with their foundational core.

And then the subsequent comments are a depressing reminder of just how stupid, selfish and short-sighted people can be.

And on the third hand, thanks for sharing Arthur Peabody . Despite my increasingly crotchety demeanor, I continue to enjoy your contributions to the A&S forum, because as cyclists we know we can't rely on others to look out for us, either in traffic itself, or in government.
Likes For BobbyG: